#1: Mood Changers
The way in which the writer worded this excerpt was perfect in the sense that they were trying to get their point across on how exactly mood changers work, how they should be used, and which words should be used in order to tackle this specific task in writing. This small portion of the book caught my attention immediately due to the fact that I constantly use mood changers in my writing. It is simply part of my writing style. I always find myself using such words as "however" and "yet" throughout my papers and small assignments as well. Although the section on mood changers was fairly short, I felt as though I was able to learn a lot as far as where to place these words in my sentences.
#2: The Interview
Although interviewing people is not in my normal schedule for things to do, I do know that such skills also apply to everyday conversation with other individuals. I liked how everything was explained so well and every aspect of giving an interview was fairly precise. The advice given about knowing background information about whatever or whoever you're learning about was very helpful. Also being prepared with a list of questions was a very cliche, but helpful at the same time because it is commonly overlooked. One part that I noticed was not spoken on was that one should ask questions about things that are not obvious, but rather ask questions about aspects of life that you can learn and grow from.
#3: The Memoir
When writing about my life and the people who I surround myself with, I find myself drifting off to other subjects that are either insignificant or are way too specific. Although quite lengthy, this section of the book helped me in so many ways when I thought about my writing style. Of course writing is not my complete passion in life, but when I have to write about anything, it would obviously be the simplest subject to write about when writing about myself. The writer advises that one should write about themselves "with confidence and pleasure", but not to forget that surrounding elements are the partial driving force in my life story. This piece of information seemed to be one, if not the most important, pieces of advice that I could receive on writing well. It is never really taken to thought that it is not only ourselves that drive our lives forward, but it is also the people and places around us. If I could take one thing from this section, it would be to write not only about myself, but the people around me that make my life...my life.
#4: Critics and Columnists
This section of the book greatly influenced how exactly I wrote our last paper on reviewing specifics of our choice. The rules written about reviewing and being a critic all factored into how I wrote my paper on a pair of sunglasses by Oakley. The writer wrote of certain principles that should be taken into consideration when reviewing any such thing. One specific principle caught my eye that later on proved to be useful. I read about how not to generalize when writing. My writing does sometimes get around to being quite boring and seems to lead nowhere. However, I did get a chance to review my paper once or twice and reading such a rule changed my perspective on how I should be writing. This section actually proved to have taught me how to write with more skill.
#5: The Sound of Your Voice
Before reading the entire book, I always figured that my writing was flawed in that I was always writing in my personal style no matter what the subject of choice was. I always had the idea that I would have to write in certain ways when writing about certain subjects and somehow integrate my writing into it and simply make it work and flow together. However, after reading this chapter, I learned that I was writing the way that I should be. Every writer should have their own signature style of writing and it should show in their writing, no matter what the subject. I learned that it is the subject that should be flexible when fitting into the way that you write. I found this very interesting because it does seem logical to me, but at the same time, it doesn't. If I could take anything from this excerpt, it would be to write as though you are speaking directly to the reader; to write as though you are yourself relaxed.
#6: The Tyranny of The Final Product
As a writer, I know that everybody is somehow self-conscious of how exactly their piece of literature has turned out, what people will think about it, and whether or not they had done their job in whatever it is what their goal was. I find myself feeling confident when I finish any writing that I have done for an assignment or simply free writing that I usually do in my free time. However, I am unable to control my thoughts of whether or not people will like my writing and it also gets to me when I wonder how my writing reflects the person that I truly am. This section in the book taught me that one can only review their own writing so many times. Writing can only be improved after so many critiquing by a select few. Otherwise, the original piece of writing would turn out to be completely different from how it was initially intended.
The way in which the writer worded this excerpt was perfect in the sense that they were trying to get their point across on how exactly mood changers work, how they should be used, and which words should be used in order to tackle this specific task in writing. This small portion of the book caught my attention immediately due to the fact that I constantly use mood changers in my writing. It is simply part of my writing style. I always find myself using such words as "however" and "yet" throughout my papers and small assignments as well. Although the section on mood changers was fairly short, I felt as though I was able to learn a lot as far as where to place these words in my sentences.
#2: The Interview
Although interviewing people is not in my normal schedule for things to do, I do know that such skills also apply to everyday conversation with other individuals. I liked how everything was explained so well and every aspect of giving an interview was fairly precise. The advice given about knowing background information about whatever or whoever you're learning about was very helpful. Also being prepared with a list of questions was a very cliche, but helpful at the same time because it is commonly overlooked. One part that I noticed was not spoken on was that one should ask questions about things that are not obvious, but rather ask questions about aspects of life that you can learn and grow from.
#3: The Memoir
When writing about my life and the people who I surround myself with, I find myself drifting off to other subjects that are either insignificant or are way too specific. Although quite lengthy, this section of the book helped me in so many ways when I thought about my writing style. Of course writing is not my complete passion in life, but when I have to write about anything, it would obviously be the simplest subject to write about when writing about myself. The writer advises that one should write about themselves "with confidence and pleasure", but not to forget that surrounding elements are the partial driving force in my life story. This piece of information seemed to be one, if not the most important, pieces of advice that I could receive on writing well. It is never really taken to thought that it is not only ourselves that drive our lives forward, but it is also the people and places around us. If I could take one thing from this section, it would be to write not only about myself, but the people around me that make my life...my life.
#4: Critics and Columnists
This section of the book greatly influenced how exactly I wrote our last paper on reviewing specifics of our choice. The rules written about reviewing and being a critic all factored into how I wrote my paper on a pair of sunglasses by Oakley. The writer wrote of certain principles that should be taken into consideration when reviewing any such thing. One specific principle caught my eye that later on proved to be useful. I read about how not to generalize when writing. My writing does sometimes get around to being quite boring and seems to lead nowhere. However, I did get a chance to review my paper once or twice and reading such a rule changed my perspective on how I should be writing. This section actually proved to have taught me how to write with more skill.
#5: The Sound of Your Voice
Before reading the entire book, I always figured that my writing was flawed in that I was always writing in my personal style no matter what the subject of choice was. I always had the idea that I would have to write in certain ways when writing about certain subjects and somehow integrate my writing into it and simply make it work and flow together. However, after reading this chapter, I learned that I was writing the way that I should be. Every writer should have their own signature style of writing and it should show in their writing, no matter what the subject. I learned that it is the subject that should be flexible when fitting into the way that you write. I found this very interesting because it does seem logical to me, but at the same time, it doesn't. If I could take anything from this excerpt, it would be to write as though you are speaking directly to the reader; to write as though you are yourself relaxed.
#6: The Tyranny of The Final Product
As a writer, I know that everybody is somehow self-conscious of how exactly their piece of literature has turned out, what people will think about it, and whether or not they had done their job in whatever it is what their goal was. I find myself feeling confident when I finish any writing that I have done for an assignment or simply free writing that I usually do in my free time. However, I am unable to control my thoughts of whether or not people will like my writing and it also gets to me when I wonder how my writing reflects the person that I truly am. This section in the book taught me that one can only review their own writing so many times. Writing can only be improved after so many critiquing by a select few. Otherwise, the original piece of writing would turn out to be completely different from how it was initially intended.